John is a trusted advisor to condominium corporations. He has delivered practical solutions to help clients obtain legal compliance for over 40 years. His expertise in condominium law includes a focus on corporate governance, telecommunications, property management/administration, and shared facilities dispute resolution. John also participated in consultations with the Ontario Government to ensure that the regulatory regime allows condominium corporations to operate in a fair and efficient manner. These consultations led to the creation of Protecting Condominium Owners Act and Condominium Management Services Act.
John is an experienced arbitrator and mediator with a proven track record of reducing tension and discord in condominium communities. He is a certified arbitrator with the Alternate Dispute Resolution Institute of Ontario. He has acted as arbitrator in a number of disputes among condominium corporations relating to interpretation of an easement and cost sharing agreement, and between condominium corporations and owners with respect to declaration obligations. John has also acted as a mediator to resolve disputes among condominium directors, and disputes between a condominium corporation and declarant, and assisting disputing condominium corporations (and non-condominium parties) to reconsider and renegotiate terms of shared cost and facilities agreements.
John has now given up skiing, but he recommends going to Blue Mountain for a good Ontario ski hill. He is an avid Muskoka cottager and enjoys golfing and international travelling in his spare time. While in the city, John and his wife can be found at the Four Seasons Center for the Arts on opera nights.
- Condominium Law
- Real Estate
- Admitted to the Bar of Ontario – 1977
- McGill University, Faculty of Law, LL.B. – 1975
- McGill University, Faculty of Arts, B.A. – 1971
- Qualified arbitrator with a Certificate from the Alternate Dispute Resolution Institute of Ontario (ADR)
- Stiltt Feld Handy Mediation 1 and 2 Diploma, University of Windsor
- ACMO membership and committee representation relating to condominium management standards
- Outside of his busy condominium private practice, John is a frequent writer and lecturer on condominium legal matters and he has been a speaker at numerous courses for condominium directors and managers, as well as Canadian Condominium Institute (CCI) and Association of Condominium Managers of Ontario (ACMO) functions.
- John has written numerous articles for condominium related publications and the Toronto Star Condo Living feature, and for over 20 years wrote a quarterly legal column entitled "Law Lights" in the Condominium Manager magazine, a publication of ACMO.